Are LVI radiators efficient?
One of the first questions asked by most consumers is the comparison costs of LVI to other forms of heating. Responses will vary depending on what we are comparing to, but most answers can be found below.
Responses are general in nature and are based on what is seen in the market. There is very little solid data in this area, as most companies do not want to have a real comparison.
For electric heating, LVI is the most efficient on the market. To work out running costs, please see calculation below:
Now we compare against other forms of heating:
|Heating Attributes||LVI radiators||Hydronic||Split system Aircon inverter||Panel heaters Convectors
|Type of heat||Soft radiant||Soft radiant||Blowing air||Blowing/convecting air|
|Drying affect/sore eyes||no||no||yes||no||yes|
|Calculation W/cu meter||15-35||60||25-50|
|Maintenance cost||none||$400/2 years||$100/5 years||nil||$200/year|
|Repair cost if required||less than $250||up to $5000||up to $500||not usually repaired||up to $1000|
|Running a system, even if one room is heated||no||yes||no||no||yes|
Average 3 bedroom house
|$5000-$6000||$12,000 – $15000||$4000 -$8000||$3000-$3500||$5000|
|Individual control||yes||limited||+/- 3 deg||yes||+/- 3deg or worse|
- When comparing LVI panel heaters to air blowing or air heating systems, we need to heat the volume of air in the room before we feel comfortable. This is why they are generally more expensive to operate. A radiator will heat the persons and objects in the room before it heats the air. Like the sun coming through the window, you can feel warm, even though the surrounding air might not be the same temp.
- Maintenance costs are based on plumber costs to visit and check gas system. Failure to check gas systems has resulted in carbon monoxide poisoning in some cases.
- How to work out running costs, both average cost and worst case scenario:
- Most Australians pay .21c a KWH for their electricity.
- Using 1000Kw radiator as an example:
- If this was turned on at 100% and the thermostat was not operated, the running cost would be .21c per hour.
- When sized and installed in an insulated house, the thermostat will now operate when the selected room temperature is reached. If aiming at a comfortable 21deg c, then we expect the LVI thermostat to turn on and off at a 50% duty cycle. This means that across 1 hour, the power will be On 50% of the time, and Off the other 50%.
- Therefore the running cost is now approx. .11cents per hour to run.
- Therefore our running cost guide will range between .11cents per hour and .21cents per hour, depending on each rooms situation. (includes window sizes, double glazing, curtains, wall insulation, ceiling insulation, northerly aspect)
- LVI has a special fast acting thermostat that allows this constant top up of power to keep a constant temperature in the room.
- On average LVI radiators will use less wattage to achieve the same heating effect as compared to a convector.